Fourth of July Cocktail
Total Time:10 min
Total Time:10 min
1 ounce watermelon schnapps
1 big splash cranberry juice
1 very thin slice jalapeno or serrano pepper
1 slice lemon
1 slice lime
1 1/2 ounces tequila
1/4 ounce blue curacao
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Watermelon wedge, for garnish (optional)
Mix the schnapps and cranberry juice in a shaker; pour into an ice-filled glass.
Muddle the jalapeno pepper, lemon and lime slices, tequila, blue curacao and simple syrup (to make a batch, dissolve sugar in equal parts hot water and chill) in the shaker. Slowly strain into the glass over the red layer. Garnish with watermelon, if desired.
Photograph by Kate Sears
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri for Food Network Magazine
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1½ stick butter or margarine
- 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. low-fat buttermilk
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1 c. confectioner’s sugar
- ½ pt. blueberries
- 1 pt. raspberries
- 1 c. sweetened flaked coconut
- Prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 20 muffin-pan cups with cupcake liners.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat granulated sugar and 8 tablespoons butter 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy, scraping bowl with rubber spatula. From lemon, grate 3 teaspoons peel; reserve 1 teaspoon peel and set aside. With mixer on medium-high speed, add remaining 2 teaspoons peel to butter mixture and beat 1 minute. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl with rubber spatula. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, just until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks. (Cupcakes can be stored, well-wrapped, at room temperature up to 2 days, or in freezer up to 1 month.)
- Prepare frosting: In bowl, with mixer on low speed, blend cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon peel. Increase speed to high; beat 3 to 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes. Top 4 cupcakes with blueberries, 8 with raspberries, and 8 with coconut; arrange on platter to resemble American flag.EACH BERRY CUPCAKE: About 240 calories, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (7 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 61 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium.EACH COCONUT CUPCAKE: About 260 calories, 4 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (9 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 61 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium.
- 8 bags peach-flavored tea
- 2 bags black or English breakfast tea
- 20 thin slices fresh ginger, chopped
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 c. bourbon
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- Mint, for garnish
- In small saucepan, heat 4 cups water to simmering on high. Remove from heat. Add peach- flavored tea bags; steep 5 minutes. Add black tea bags; steep 5 minutes. Remove all tea bags, pressing to squeeze out tea. Discard bags. Transfer tea to medium pitcher. Add 4 cups cold water; refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in same saucepan, combine ginger, sugar and 2⁄3 cups water; heat to simmering on medium. Reduce heat to maintain simmer; simmer 15 minutes. Strain out and discard ginger. Refrigerate syrup until cold.
- Stir cold ginger syrup into tea along with bourbon and lemon juice. Makes about 10 cups. Serve over ice; garnish with mint.
This cookout classic is a serious crowd-pleaser.
- 2 c. bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp. Hot sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts and drumsticks
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Make Sauce: In a large bowl, whisk together BBQ sauce, honey, lime juice, and hot sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup for serving.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to high. Oil grates and add chicken. Baste with marinade and grill until charred, 8 minutes per side for breasts, and 10 to 12 minutes per side for legs.
- Old Bay Grilled Corn
- Bacon Wrapped Grilled Corn
- Buffalo Grilled Corn
- BBQ Grilled Corn
- Pesto n’ Parm Grilled Corn